The Book Awards Reading Challenge is a fantastic idea for a reading challenge. I have considered doing something similar as a personal challenge but then this came up. The idea in a nutshell is to, “Read any 12 award-winning books from July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008.” This is only the second challenge I’ve joined and I’m looking forward to getting started. I ended up with 19 books on my list so I’m posting 12 plus 7 alternates.
- The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (Man Booker)
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card (Hugo, Nebula)
- Europe Central by William Vollmann (National Book Award)
- The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow (National Book Award)
- Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (National Book Award)
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Nobel)
- Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Orange)
- War Trash by Ha Jin (Pen/Faulkner)
- Beloved by Toni Morrison (Pulitzer, Nobel)
- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (Pulitzer)
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Pulitzer)
- The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (Pulitzer)
I didn’t have Half of a Yellow Sun on my TBR list before but looked into it signing up for this challenge. People have been raving about it so I decided to throw it in the mix.
And now for some alternates just in case I decide to change it up a bit.
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (Governor General, Arthur C. Clarke)
- Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (Arthur C. Clarke)
- Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (Hugo)
- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (Pen/Faulkner, Orange)
- The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (Pulitzer)
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (Pulitzer, Spur)
- Seeker by Jack McDevitt (Nebula)
Nearly every one of these book was already on my list, and some I had been putting off, but no longer!