The flood of books continues. My wife and I took advantage of a free trial of Amazon Prime by loading up on some books. This stack does not include the books that she purchased and pre-ordered. I am now pretty much out of shelf space. Not sure what to do with any books I might receive from here on out. I guess I had better started reading faster!
My stack of books, from top to bottom, includes:
- Warlock by Oakley Hall – The NYRB Classics have been popular recently. This is my first book from the catalog. It’s a Western based on Wyatt Earp, a figure who has intrigued me for years.
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry – Another Western, which is odd because I don’t think of myself as a fan. This won the 1986 Pulitzer Prize. I promised in an earlier post I would purchase this eventually and here it is!
- Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown – I’ve had this on my list for years and finally bought it. It sounds like a heartbreaking book. I believe that HBO recently produced and aired a movie based on this book.
- His Dark Materials Omnibus by Philip Pullman – This is the His Dark Materials trilogy all in one volume. I heard about this series a few years ago, hearing about the upcoming film adaptation of the first book in the series reminded me I wanted to read it.
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini – My wife and I read The Kite Runner for our first family book club. This was released shortly after and I’ve read in numerous places that it is better.
Five more to add to the TBR shelf. And I think my book buying binge is over, at least until September. As I’ve mentioned before, we’ll be headed up to the Seattle area and I plan on visiting Half Priced Books. Should be fun, now I’ve got to get in some serious reading…