I’ve seen this one at quite a few blogs lately. I’m not sure where it started so I’ll just mention So Many Books because that’s where I found it when I decided to do it myself…
- Do you remember learning to read? How old were you? Well reading this meme on several other blogs has made me feel a bit slow because they mentioned learning to read by the time they were in Kindergarten. However, I did not learn to read until 1st grade. I can vaguely remember one of the books I learned on being about a Leprechaun or something funny similarly whimsical. I would love to have my daughter reading before she attends school.
- What do you find most challenging to read? I enjoy reading non-fiction, though not nearly at the rate I read fiction. But sometimes the subject matter is pretty dense and it becomes quite challenging. Or sometimes historical books are so filled with dates and events that it becomes difficult to keep track of them all. On occasion I read a novel that is so abstract I’m not sure about it’s meaning.
- What are your library habits? It is pretty random how I determine which books to check-out from the library and which I choose to purchase. Recently I haven’t visited the library at all as I have been focusing on reading books I own. But I still love to visit and peruse the stacks and I’m actually reading a library book right now after having gone so long without.
- Have your library habits changed since you were younger? Even with the recent lack of library trips I still use the library much more often than I did when I was younger. I read much more now which is why I visit more. Although during the summers when I was younger I would visit the library sometimes with my mom because she worked there. I usually didn’t check anything out however.
- How has blogging changed your reading life? I think about the books I read more now that I’ve started blogging. I think about how I am going to review the books I read. What I like about them, what I don’t, why or why not someone should read them.
- How often do you read a book and not review it on your blog? What are your reasons for not blogging about a book? Since I’ve started blogging I have reviewed all but about 4 books on my blog. And all of those books were during a period a couple of months ago when I just didn’t feel like blogging, I was a bit preoccupied.
- What percentage of your books do you get from new book stores, second hand books stores, the library, online exchange sites, online retailers, other? This is a difficult one, but taking a look at my list of books that I’ve read in the last few months I’ll give a quick estimate. 65% of my books have been purchased new from stores or online retailers, about 13% from the library, 18% from Curled Up, and 4% have been ARCs from publishers and publicists.
- What are your pet peeves about the way people treat books? I really don’t like dog-earring although I guess it doesn’t affect me unless it’s a my book or a library book, then it really irritates me. I also get really annoyed when people read hardcovers with the jacket on, take them off people!
- Do you ever read for pleasure at work? I read during my lunch break, it’s when I get most of my reading done. I also read on the train to and from work, although I guess that technically doesn’t count as at work.
- When you give people books as gifts, how do you decide what to give them? I try to find books that I think they will enjoy whether I have read them or not. I never decide to give someone a book purely based on my opinion of it.